Re: confusion about H5Gget_objname_by_idx

Hi Ed,
    Yup, you are correct - I'll report it as a doc bug.

        Quincey

Date: 01 Nov 2003 09:44:49 -0700
From: Ed Hartnett <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: netcdf-hdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: extensible datasets in every dimension?
Sender: owner-netcdf-hdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Greeting to HDF HQ!

Some questions:

1 - If any dimension of a dataset is to be extensible, the dataset
must be chunked, correct?

2 - If I have a dataset with one expendables dimension, and several
fixed dimensions, I can create it using a space like this:

      if ((spaceid = H5Screate_simple(var->ndims, dimsize, maxdimsize)) < 0)
         BAIL(NC_EHDFERR);

Where dimsize is an array of initial dimension sizes, and maxdimsize
is an array of max dimension sizes, or -1 for an unlimited dimension.

The problem I have is this. If I try and create a space with one of
the dimsizes as zero, and the corresponding maxdimsize as -1, HDF5
hands when I try to close the defined dataset (this seems like a HDF
bug, BTW).

So I can do it if I start with a dimsize of 1 instead of 0, but this
is not the netcdf way. After defining such a dataset, when I get the
number of records in it, using H5Sget_simple_extent_dims, I get a size
of one along that dimension, even though I haven't written any data to
it yet, because I have to define it as having length of at least one.

Any comment or help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Ed