Date: 23 Oct 2003 11:28:36 -0600
From: Ed Hartnett <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Quincey Koziol <koziol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: automatic type conversion issues: range errors
Cc: netcdf-hdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netcdf-hdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quincey Koziol <koziol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi Ed,
>     HDF5 provides the user with a method of catching these sort of errors,
> using the H5T{get|set}_overflow() routines.  The overflow routine is called
> any time that a value in the source can't be represented exactly in the
> destination, with the datatypes provided.  This allows a user application to
> catch range errors and potentially change the value set for the destination
> value.

Perfect! Thanks. I will start checking this.

>     Currently, there isn't a way to pass the information about the fill value
> along to the user's callback routine, which looks like it would be necessary
> fulfill the current netCDF-3 functionality.  Additionally, I think it would be
> better to have these routines set on an individual data transfer, instead of
> globally for the library, so I think we should move them to be get|set
> routines
> on a data transfer property list.

OK.

>     For now, you can use the current H5Tset_overflow routine to trap any
> overflows and set them to be zero and when I've fixed this up better, you will
> have access to the actual fill value the user set for the dataset.

So right now it will substitute a zero for a value that has
overflowed?

If one is storing temperature data, for example, zero is a perfectly
valid value, so that would be a real problem. The very extremes
(i.e. values which overflowed the expected type) will be plopped right
in the center of the data distribution, at zero.

I think that the use of the fill value is mandatory in this case. I
can't imagine a case where I would prefer overflowed values to be
zero.

Ed