Re: Current status

> Date:    Thu, 12 Nov 1992 11:49:38 EST
> From: GUMLEY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Liam E. Gumley)
> Subject: Current status
> To: hdf-netcdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I was wondering if anyone at NCSA can give me an update on the current
> status of the HDF/NetCDF prototype.  I am particularly interested in
> any progress on a Macintosh port of the code.  Is there a release date
> set yet for any platform(s)?.
>
> Cheers,
> Liam.

Hi.  Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town for the last week or
so.  Despite many distractions, the HDF/netCDF project is slowly moving
forward.  The version of the library currently on our ftp server is
a good deal faster at I/O in many cases than the copy I first released.

Its still in development, but the library on the ftp server allows users
to use the netCDF interface to read SDS objects out of HDF files.  Each
SDS is converted into a variable and the SDS meta-data is converted into
the corresponding "standard" attributes.  At this point, the reading of
SDSs is pretty stable, however, the library will currently break if
you try to store netCDF objects into a file which already has SDSs in it
but these problems should be cleared up by the end of the week.

Over the next month or two I will be adding the code for allowing the
SDS interface to read netCDF objects (out of both HDF and XDR files).
Until this code is written, I can't be sure that the on-disk HDF
representation of netCDF objects won't change.  Once it looks like
our on-disk model is sufficient, we will stop talking about "prototypes"
and start talking about "alpha-releases"

The prototype has been run on RS/6000s, Sun4s and SGIs.  To my knowledge
no one has tried it on the Mac but I would be surprised if there were
any significant problems.

-Chris Houck
HDF Group
NCSA Software Development Group