Re: CDF, netCDF and HDF

Thanks Glenn for the clarification.  This addresses one of the reasons I
made the posting to the mailgroup -- to get current status on implementations
and current thinking from the actual developers.

I assume by changing shape you mean NOT considering the unlimited dimension.
Obviously, that dimension could be viewed as being part of the definition of
shape for a variable.  It would appear that netCDF allows one to change the
shape along that dimensional axis by adding instances of variables for the rest
of the shape definition without copying.  On the other hand, deleting an
instance (i.e., a record in the conceptual equivalent in the CDF parlance) of
a variable would also change the shape.  Is this supported in netCDF without
copying?  If so, is it done by just tagging the offending element?  Is any
space compression/garbage collection done after repeated such operations
because of the potential of wasted space?  Clearly, a netCDF copy operation
would take care of that, if required.  For large data sets, this could be an
expensive operation.