Welcome to HDF / netCDF

        Hello and welcome to the HDF / netCDF mailing list.
NCSA has begun to investigate the task of adding a netCDF
interface to the HDF file library.  This mailing list has
been set up to discuss the project.

        We have drawn up a preliminary design document for the
project, it can be anonymously ftp'ed from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
in outgoing/chouck/design.ps   We would be greatly interested
in any comments you have on it.

        Our immediate plans call for the continued implementation
of a prototype based on the public domain netCDF code from
Unidata.  The prototype is moving right along and we hope to
have at least a Sun-based version that people can experiment
with in a few weeks.  (If people would like the initial version
of the prototype to run on other machines now would be a good
time to let us know.)

        In the near term, we also plan to begin soliciting
opinions on adding support for meshes to netCDF.  Our
current working mesh data-model comes from the SILO project
developed at Lawrence Livermore. We would like to send out
the details of the data model sometime in the coming weeks
in order to see what people think about it.

That's about it for current news. To send a note to the mailing
list please mail to :

        hdf-netcdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

For administrative tasks please contact :

        hdf-netcdf-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

-Chris Houck
chouck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx