Status of LEAD 3/6/2007

NOTE: The leadusers mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Hi Folks,

We've had another very interesting week of using LEAD for supporting folks in
the WxChallenge.  I'd like to start by thanking you all very much for your
continued beta use of LEAD and for all your excellent feedback. Please keep it
up!  We hope that you join us in seeing the tremendous promise of LEAD despite
the difficulties you may have had along the way.  Here is some information for
you as you prepare for the WxChallenge tournament stage during which we hope
you continue to use LEAD to augment your WxChallenge prediction work.  There
are a number of issues so I provide a contents and section approach to this
e-mail.

WRF numerical instabilities

Workflow generated soundings bug fixed

Delivery of files to MyWorkspace

Download of large files using Internet Explorer

Maintenance on various machines is complete

************* WRF numerical instabilities *************

We continue to be somewhat vexed by these, particularly in the ADAS
initialization cases.  Terrain seems to be a key factor in the problems and so
we're hopeful that you will be able to use both the ADAS and the NAM
initialized forecast workflows during the tournament phase as the area around
Topeka is less variable than that around Rapid City.  Please feel free to use
both workflow types and provide us feedback on your experiences through the
support system (either contact us from the portal or e-mail directly to
support-lead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

*************  Workflow generated soundings bug fixed **************

WxChallenge statistics page:  The implementation of the WxChallenge statistics
page: http://chinkapin.cs.indiana.edu/wxchallenge/   allowed LEAD developers to
identify a bug in the service that provides the soundings generated over the
locations of interest. (I.e. the WRF-ASCII-Soundings:Extract service).   This
bug has been corrected and so your soundings files (i.e. in MyWorkspace with
.sfc extension) should now have correct and complete information, as should the
web page.

************* Delivery of files to MyWorkspace ************

The issue with delivery of files generated to by the workflow to users'
MyWorkspace is now better understood, though is not yet completely resolved.
If you are finding that your files are not showing up in your workspace, please
notify us via the Contact Us link or via the support-lead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
e-mail address and let us know.  We now have a workaround to quickly get those
files registered in the case where the automated registration is not working.

************* Download of large files using Internet Explorer ************

Users who use Internet Explorer as their browser of choice are unable to
download files of a size greater than 2 Gigabytes.  This is a limitation with
Internet Explorer, so the only workaround is to use a different browser such as
Firefox.

************* Maintenance on various machines is complete ***********

Maintenance work on machines at OU and IU caused some capabilities to be
unavailable for short periods this week.  All the maintenance should now be
complete.

Again thanks for being a beta user of LEAD!  We're most grateful to you for
your service to the project.

Best regards,
Tom Baltzer

LEAD Project