From: owner-leadusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-
leadusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Suresh Marru
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:52 PM
To: Hector De Lima
Cc: leadusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; iu-lead
Subject: Workflow Visualization

Hi Hector,

<snip>

NAM Initialized workflows uses NAM model data for initialization. NAM
data is obtained from NCEP, which is WRF 84 hour forecast data run over
CONUS with 40km resolution every 6 hours (00, 06, 12, 18, 24 UTC). If
you login to portal, in your MyWorkspace personal data browser,
expanding the experiment you should see a input data files collection
with names similar to eta40grb.2007020706f00 (NAM was previously called
eta and grb indicates the file is in gridded binary format and f00
indicates it is the 0th hour of the 84 hour nam forecast starting 06Z on
02/07/2007). The first eta***

The first is the file ending in 00)

file is used to initialize the model and
rest of the forecast hourly files are used to define the lateral
boundary conditions for forecast time steps, centered in your defined
area.

ADAS Initialized workflows use OU-CAPS's ADAS assimilated data to
initialize the WRF model. ADAS workflows are supposed to yield better
forecast as they assimilate the NAM data along with other data from
radars, satellites, rawinsondes, mesonets, wind profilers, aircrafts and
other surface data.

Also the data is assimilated to a 10km grid and is thus more precise than
the 40km NAM assimilation.

Similar to your NAM experiments you can view ADAS
input used. In your input data collection there will files with names
like ad2007020818.nc (adas assimilation done at 18Z on 02/08/2007 in
netcdf format) . You will also see some eta** files because even though
ADAS workflows uses ADAS data to initialize they also use NAM data for
defining lateral boundary conditions similar to NAM initialized workflow.

In both of the above cases within input data file collections if you
click on the files, on the right hand pane you will see some metadata
(description about the data). There will be information on what the file
is, and the boundaries of the spatial extents of the data.

If you look further down in your experiment you will see lot of
intermediate files and most of them are not IDV viewable at this point,
but if you are interested you can download them and look at the data by
using ncdump or other netcdf utilities.

Finally what you need to be looking at in IDV is the WRF output files
which are of the format wrfout_d01_date_and_time.nc

Hector, To answer your questions specifically, you should be opening the
wrfout*** files in IDV and looking at them and optionally you can also
open the eta** files too and compare them with WRF output.

Even better, I would recommend using the Data Search tab in the portal and
finding the NAM data file that has all the forecast hours in a single file.
If you do a search and limit it to NAM, you will find files that have a
title "North American Model/CONUS 40 km (conduit)" and have a temporal range
of 84 hours (as opposed to the 3 hours of the "eta" named files).  When you
visualize these files in IDV you can do time series that are much easier to
compare with your WRF output data.

But your
focus and readings should be with wrfout files. IDV will let you overlay
one data set over another and visually  compare them.  As for less
parameters issue, if you are looking for anything specific necessary
parameter and it is not there, report it in feedback form (or discuss
with Everette or Rich) and meteorology group in LEAD can verify it and
add to WRF configuration (registry file) if needed.

Tom et al,

Can you answer Hector's IDV questions and correct if i have stated
anything incorrectly?

Thanks,
Suresh

Hector De Lima wrote:
Hello Suresh,

I've been testing Lead these last couple of days and I have a few
doubts I thought you might be able to clarify:

1) For a 6hr run with 02/07/2007 data, what is the difference between
opening in IDV the file wrfout_d01_2007-02-07_06_00_00.nc as compared
to opening eta40grb.2007020706f00

The first one (wrfout...) is the one that the movie tutorial, or
screencast, recommends you to open after the experiment is finished
processing.   Nevertheless, it seems that the second (eta...) covers
more display fields.  I guess I am confused as to which file from the
Personal Workspace is the correct one to select in order to view in
IDV the product of your experiment.  I started with a NAM initialized
WRF forecast.

The eta file is the "input" to your forecast run.  The 00 file is the
initialization file (if you are not using ADAS initialization) and the
remaining files are the boundary conditions.  The wrfout file is "product"
of your forecast run.  You are quite right that the fields in this file are
somewhat limited.  This is a known issue and we are working on including a
"WRF-POST" step to the workflow that will give more interesting fields.
There are ways of using IDV to get at the fields of interest.  What fields
would you like to see?

2) I've noticed that a few display fields do not show anything when I
select the entire CONUS but will display something when the selected
area in IDV is smaller. Is this normal, an error or something wrong
with my terminal?

If you are looking at your WRF output and you have selected a WRF run of say
5km resolution, then your domain size will be 1000x1000km and thus not the
whole CONUS.  If you are looking at the NAM input data, then you will see
data for the whole CONUS.

3) How do you change the units of fields such as temperature? Most
(except SST's) seem to be displayed in Kelvin.

I believe that you will need to apply a formula to this.  Let me discuss
with the IDV guys and get back with you on that.

Thanks,
Tom.