[ldm-users] How to upgrade your LDM's quickly and easily

Hello everyone,

Upgrading the LDM can be a chore. Trying to remember the commands, getting
the file downloaded...can't there be an easier way to do this?

The answer is...yes, yes there is!  After I worked with Victor Gensini
tonight to upgrade his LDM's to version 6.13.16, he made a c-shell script
to make upgrades a snap. You can download it here:

https://atlas.niu.edu/ldm/

Download the file "upgrade_ldm.csh" to your $LDMHOME directory (with the
default install, that's /home/ldm) as user LDM.. Do a "chmod 775" to that
file to make it executable.

This script makes several horrific assumptions (edit the file to change
them):

1. You put the ldm in /home/ldm/$version
2. You have pax, wget and gunzip on your system
3. You know root's password; you will have to type it in twice while it is
compiling
4. You have the environment variables already set up (if you already have a
version of the LDM running, you're good to go here).

If you mistype the password, the LDM will attempt to start the new version,
but it will hang. Hit CTRL-C to break out of that, and redo the command and
start the process again, and this time, type in the correct password.

With this script, you can have this done as fast as you can type in root's
password correctly twice, the compiling time of the LDM, and remaking the
LDM queue.

To update, as user LDM, type "upgrade_ldm.csh 6.13.16" as user LDM, which
is the current version.

On one of Victor's servers, he did it with this script in 50 seconds flat.
If you want to delete older versions of the LDM on your system, this script
won't do that. That's on you, but that can be done easily.

Victor and I hope you find this script helpful. I see a lot of people with
old versions of the LDM running. Some of the older versions had security
flaws, and older versions have serious bugs. You have no excuses now not to
upgrade.

We'd love to have feedback to see what you think! You can send any
comments, concerns and whatnot to the group, or to me.

Gilbert
--
----

Gilbert Sebenste