Re: [ldm-users] dish

Here you go - I found them quicker than I thought I would.

On 2021-10-09 07:50, Stonie R. Cooper wrote:
Ha! Truly a funny post to see my name.

The 7.3m we installed was at Ft. Greely, AK.  We did have a 7m in Omaha, but it wasn't one we installed, but was pre-existing.  I have since installed a 3.7m "normal" dish at our colo, so don't use it any longer.

FYI - I don't know if this news lists allows attachments, but I could probably find a photo somewhere of the AK installation . . . it has the Army person standing next to it for size.  Understand, at that latitude, it was essentially pointed at the horizon, and I probably get better gain with a paper plate in the lower 48.

Particularly with terrestrial interference, the parabolic curve seemed to have more response to a more stable signal than size; our best installations used a higher focal depth (deeper, if you will), as it tended to filter ground noise so much better, even if the actual realized reflectance back at the LNB/LNA was less . . . a 3.56m dish built in the 60's that we repurposed had the gain of a 3.1m dish, but was rock solid with signal and almost never lost a packet unless that packet was lost at the uplink.

Stonie