[ldm-users] Updraft reorganization, net network, and a need for peers

Hello.  Let me introduce ... myself.  I've taken over management of
updraft.us.

We've been quiet on the network as of late, but we're reorganizing and
deploying some 1Gbps servers starting with one in Los Angeles, CA (One
Wilshire, 40Gbps+ of BGP peers).

We're in need of peers for all feeds, and we'd like to be multihomed if
possible for HDS, NGRIN, IDS|DDPLUS, WMO, UNIWISC, NEXRAD2, NEXRAD3, etc.

Here's the benefits:  we'll peer with anyone and give you any feeds you
want provided:
- You've a genuine need and interest in having them.
- We have the bandwidth.
- It makes sense topologically from a network perspective.
- Priority will be given to universities/academia/government, then private
organizations (non-commercial) and finally commercial organizations.

Our servers will be interconnected and anyone who's permitted to peer at
one location will have equivalent ALLOW entries on all our other
servers...same priority as above.  (There's only so much bandwidth.)

We just need some assistance in getting ALLOW entries ourselves from
reliable peers.  Can anyone out there (or the powers-that-be at
UCAR/UNIDATA) give us a hand?  We'd like to give a lot more back to the LDM
community and make the network more robust and carry some of the weight as
a private organization to abate some of the burden from those who also
donate.

Our ultimate goal:  *we'd like to be come a tier 2 or tier 1 backbone
provider* at some point.  We have plans to add gigabit (or better) servers
in the following locations as well over the next calendar 24 months (each
to be a minimum of 100Mbps to 1Gbps):
- New York, NY
- Atlanta, GA
- Tampa, FL
- Fremont, CA (SF Bay Area, California)
- Chicago, IL (CBOT)
- Potentially, locations with the US regions in Google Cloud Platform
(Oregon, Los Angeles, Omaha area, Charleston, SC area, Northern Virginia,
and any others that come online) for archival and pushing things like VCP
modes into Pub/Sub, to which access will be free.

Thanks for the consideration.  We'll have our first gigabit server (Los
Angeles @ One Wilshire) online in the early days of August to begin our
experiment, but we're bereft of peers.  We thank TAMU for helping us
through the years, and we'll always miss bigbird.  :)

We would also be interested in working on Sruth and sharing all our open
source code as well...including our LDM configuration real-time
orchestrator for adding/modifying peers to many servers at once.

If anyone can help us (especially at UNIDATA/UCAR), please let us know.
Ideally, we'd like to start the Los Angeles server with at least 3 reliable
peers for the feeds listed above.

Evan, Jared, and Kyle from Updraft Networks
  • Search the ldm-users archives: