[ldm-users] anyone at NCEP to fix broken web links referring to NCAR's web site

Dear community,

I realize this isn't necessarily the best place, but since Rebecca Cosgrove
frequently responds here, perhaps she can pass along info to the proper
person.

There is a rouge NCEP web page that refers to our site.  It is banging our
web page so hard, it is nearly shutting it down, so I ask for emergency
assistance to find the person responsible and help alleviate.

This page. . .
   http://www2.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wxstation/external.html

is causing extreme load to NCAR-RAL's weather page, specifically the
satellite page and is requesting image names that have not existed since
GOES16 replaced GOES13.  At any instant in time, that NCEP page is
producing our maximum allowable Apache connections of 500 so that almost no
other traffic is getting through.

I have already installed a DENY from IP number  137.75.68.137
which a DNS lookup claims is a NOAA, possibly ESRL server.

The load average dropped from over 500 to single digits in a matter of 10
minutes after I made this Draconian step.

Thank you to all who can help in this circumstance.

Greg Thompson,  NCAR-RAL
  • Search the ldm-users archives: