[ldm-users] LDM switching and NOAAPort

It's fascinating that lately there has been discussion about primary and secondary sources using ldm, because today I was presented with a scenario:

There is a location with two NOAAPort dishes as the feeds to a box making automated NIDS GIFS... If the LDM ingestor bounces between these two dishes, and they are the only primary source of data to the box, there should not be an issue with product latency... right? Well allisonhouse / wright-weather etc.. and I all back each other up, but why on earth would LDM switch to a feed thousands of miles away when it is connected directly to not one but two noaaport dishes?

Here is an animated gif from MSP earlier today... I happened to glance at it to get a good look at the snow line since the models have been arguing over the track the last few days:

http://modelweather.com/files/cases/2018/01/shakey.2018.01.22.gif

How can that GIF be "shaky" where times are intermixed because of latency issues? It's just.. crazy

Now I will say that our mesh dish has had variable Ctn because the mount is not perfect, but our solid dish remains stable because.. well it's pretty solid lol... but let's say LDM logic notices the variable Ctn potentially resulting in localized latency blipx.. why not switch to the other dish instead of a backup? ...

Here is the latency chart and a pic during today's snowstorm.. mesh on left :)
http://modelweather.com/files/cases/2018/01/2018.01.22.shaky.png

cheers,

--patrick

-