[ldm-users] 20180103: POSTPONED: imminent repurposing of IDD DIFAX feed

All,

After we sent out the announcement of the imminent repurposing of the IDD
DIFAX feed yesterday (announcement email included below), we received an
NWS administrative message that indicated that the transition of GOES-13
had been postponed due the declaration of a critical weather day, and
is now tentatively scheduled for Monday, January 8.

Because of the continued delivery of GOES-13 data (via GOES-14), and
since we discovered that several Unidata sites have standing REQUESTs
for the DIFAX feed on our top level IDD relay clusters, we decided to
postpone the repurposing of the DIFAX feed.  The postponement will last
until the critical weather designation has ended, and until we have had
the chance to individually contact the sites with the standing DIFAX
REQUESTs to make sure that they are aware of the much higher data volumes
that they will experience.  Our new target for the DIFAX transition is
this coming Monday, January 8, but this could be pushed off even further.

Please send any all comments/questions/suggestions to:

Unidata IDD Support <support-idd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Best Regards,

Unidata User Support

>From support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Tue Jan  2 14:51:24 2018
To: ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 20180102: imminent repurposing of IDD DIFAX feed

All,

Sometime later today/this evening, we will be repurposing the IDD DIFAX
feed into one aimed at delivery of satellite imagery.  We will do
this by inserting all of the GOES-16 imagery and products that we are
receiving in the GOES ReBroadcast (GRB) and being processed by UW/CIMSS
CSPP GEO into the LDM queues on our top level IDD relay clusters.

NB:  Please do not ignore this advisory!

Sites requesting DIFAX from the top level IDD relays that Unidata operates
here in UCAR, idd.unidata.ucar.edu and iddb.unidata.ucar.edu, will see
"DIFAX" data volumes go from essentially zero bytes/hour to over 8.1
GB/hour.  If you do not want/can not handle the substantially increased
data volume that will be experienced, you should immediately remove
your REQUEST(s) for the DIFAX feed.  Your immediate action is required!!
Please remember that DIFAX is included in REQUESTs for ANY!

Please send any all comments/questions/suggestions to:

Unidata IDD Support <support-idd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Best Regards,

Unidata User Support
- --