Re: [ldm-users] The big day has come: GOES-16 is here! At least experimentally...

  • To: "Hughes, Brian" <Brian.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] The big day has come: GOES-16 is here! At least experimentally...
  • From: Gilbert Sebenste <gilbert@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 03:11:48 +0000
  • Authentication-results: unisys.com; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;unisys.com; dmarc=none action=none header.from=niu.edu;
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
D'oh! I forgot that the "sun outage" . continued through todayâand for the next 
few days.

Gilbert

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 8:57 PM, Hughes, Brian <Brian.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 
> We are capturing the GOES-16 data at Unisys as well. Having some decoding 
> issues, but we're working on that. 
> 
> As far as frame loss in the afternoon, don't forget this week is the height 
> of sun eclipse for SES-1 for those of us around 40N. We are seeing frame loss 
> around 19Z each day. 
> 
> -Brian
> Unisys Weather 
> 
> 
>> On Mar 2, 2017, at 8:33 PM, "ldm-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 
>> <ldm-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 
>> Send ldm-users mailing list submissions to
>>   ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> 
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>   
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmailman.unidata.ucar.edu%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fldm-users&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=dJw5karc0nZYrCU04Vw0Ry4OVo9l3THucF9PN2mPReE%3D&reserved=0
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>   ldm-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> 
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>   ldm-users-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> 
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of ldm-users digest..."
>> 
>> 
>> Today's Topics:
>> 
>>  1. Re: The big day has come: GOES-16 is here! At least
>>      ... (Stonie R. Cooper)
>>  2. sample (Patrick L. Francis)
>>  3. Re: The big day has come: GOES-16 is here! At least
>>     experimentally... (Gilbert Sebenste)
>>  4. Re: The big day has come: GOES-16 is here! At least
>>     experimentally... (Gilbert Sebenste)
>> 
>> 
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 16:02:49 -0600
>> From: "Stonie R. Cooper" <stonewall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> To: ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Re: [ldm-users] The big day has come: GOES-16 is here! At
>>   least experimentally...
>> Message-ID: <32c5a04d-ce92-2b85-8af2-6c11562221d5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed
>> 
>> Late to the party, so sorry, but here is some helpful documentation:
>> 
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nws.noaa.gov%2Fnoaaport%2Fdocument%2FGOES-R_NOAAPort_SBN_040416.pdf&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C1%7C636241016155264513&sdata=W5IwOIKc8EnzQG%2FRCuywLB11bXNpf0dwjVyBQO5GXP8%3D&reserved=0
>> 
>> Stonie
>> 
>>> On 03/02/2017 03:46 PM, daryl herzmann wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>> 
>>> Whatever it may be worth to the community, I have collected up ~10
>>> minutes worth (1.1GB yowzers) of the NOTHER GOES-R feed in this zip file .
>>> 
>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmesonet.agron.iastate.edu%2Fpickup%2Fgoesr%2Fgoesr_sample_10min.zip&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=F3ugjHLWpIcXBWSOHGPEEY8I89zGAbC17zUb1M7ER%2FY%3D&reserved=0
>>> 
>>> I chomped off the WMO header (36 bytes worth) within each product so
>>> that each file should be a valid netcdf4 file.
>>> 
>>> daryl
>>> 
>>> PS, my testing pqact entry:
>>> 
>>> NOTHER    (TI....) (....) (......) (...)
>>>   PIPE    -close    python /home/ldm/chomp.py
>>> /home/ldm/goesr/\1_\2_\3_\4.nc
>>> 
>>> and my chomp.py script
>>> 
>>> ===============================
>>> import sys
>>> 
>>> fn = sys.argv[1]
>>> data = sys.stdin.read()
>>> o = open(fn, 'wb')
>>> o.write(data[36:])
>>> o.close()
>>> ==============================
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> On Thu, 2 Mar 2017, Mike Zuranski wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> Hi Patrick,
>>>> 
>>>> I have, though I haven't tried to take any action on it yet.  First off,
>>>> everything I see is coming in from NOTHER, not NIMAGE.  But the following
>>>> pattern works for me:  -p "TI[RS].[01][0-9] KNES"
>>>> 
>>>> That pattern should catch anything for GOES-16.  One interesting note, I
>>>> see TIRC.. products, looks like a fresh set every 5 minutes so I'm
>>>> guessing
>>>> that could be CONUS since they haven't committed to East or West yet.
>>>> But
>>>> like I said, haven't investigated too deeply yet.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> ~Mike Zuranski
>>>> 
>>>> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Patrick L. Francis
>>>> <wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> i've been running some notifymes on the dish and haven't seen
>>>>> anything for
>>>>> goes-16 or goesr yet.. has anyone else noticed a pattern?
>>>>> 
>>>>> ??????????????????????...........
>>>>> 
>>>>> Patrick L. Francis
>>>>> 
>>>>> Director of Research & Development
>>>>> 
>>>>> Aeris Weather
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Faerisweather.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=%2BZHHTJGS5dN%2BqmxgV%2Ft9H4ZhPb0zysVzuT3LOx42Lwo%3D&reserved=0
>>>>> 
>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmodelweather.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=MojrZSV72sLh%2FzlCjryc7YtVrpxvatdDj%2Ft4sSqRbpA%3D&reserved=0
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx
>>>>> 
>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffacebook.com%2Fwxprofessor%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=Kw7tROTavlouAn7pUQqgxdVo0UuujxCFaWrEb%2F%2FGiNA%3D&reserved=0
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> ??????????????????????
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> ..
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
>>>>> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
>>>>> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
>>>>> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
>>>>> do not want to be made public.
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> ldm-users mailing list
>>>>> ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>>> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit:
>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unidata.ucar.edu%2Fmailing_lists%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=b6Ww%2BbwFke63cDDs2jLZhrKPJwBcNI4YrJw78krz5Zc%3D&reserved=0
>>>>> 
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
>>> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
>>> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
>>> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
>>> do not want to be made public.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> ldm-users mailing list
>>> ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit: 
>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unidata.ucar.edu%2Fmailing_lists%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=b6Ww%2BbwFke63cDDs2jLZhrKPJwBcNI4YrJw78krz5Zc%3D&reserved=0
>>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 23:11:13 +0000
>> From: "Patrick L. Francis" <wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx>
>> To: "daryl herzmann" <akrherz@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>   "ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"    <ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: [ldm-users] sample
>> Message-ID: <em2967fbb4-84ce-42e0-8ba4-097d736b9af0@xps>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"; Format="flowed"
>> 
>> 
>> whelp, if anyone is interested here is a first look at the GOESR data 
>> coming over the dish...
>> 
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmodelweather.com%2Ffiles%2Fpatrick%2Fgoesr.png&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=N09RG37I63YTPdRQ9mSA4G%2FjoghMAvHfx%2F2PgwSb4UI%3D&reserved=0
>> 
>> 
>> will be interesting to see what it looks like when it is finally in 
>> place, and we receive all of the products :)
>> 
>> 
>> ??????????????????????...........
>> 
>> Patrick L. Francis
>> 
>> Director of Research & Development
>> 
>> Aeris Weather
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Faerisweather.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=%2BZHHTJGS5dN%2BqmxgV%2Ft9H4ZhPb0zysVzuT3LOx42Lwo%3D&reserved=0
>> 
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmodelweather.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=MojrZSV72sLh%2FzlCjryc7YtVrpxvatdDj%2Ft4sSqRbpA%3D&reserved=0
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx
>> 
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffacebook.com%2Fwxprofessor%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=Kw7tROTavlouAn7pUQqgxdVo0UuujxCFaWrEb%2F%2FGiNA%3D&reserved=0
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ??????????????????????
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ..
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL: 
>> <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmailman.unidata.ucar.edu%2Fmailing_lists%2Farchives%2Fldm-users%2Fattachments%2F20170302%2F7b89f99a%2Fattachment.html&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=jouu%2BWi5Ja%2FYh8vn6umdbeAIteKC1nYo6JADsmIjk9A%3D&reserved=0>
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 00:23:28 +0000
>> From: Gilbert Sebenste <gilbert@xxxxxxx>
>> To: daryl herzmann <akrherz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Cc: "ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: Re: [ldm-users] The big day has come: GOES-16 is here! At
>>   least experimentally...
>> Message-ID: <027F9252-2CB2-43CD-A2F5-465D39FE52C4@xxxxxxx>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>> 
>> Thanks, Daryl and Patrick! I guess the product IDs weren't built into the 
>> LDM for GOES-16 yet, so NOTHER is the feedtype it is under.
>> 
>> It almost looks like somebody restarted an LDM around 19Z as there was a 
>> momentary data dropout. In any case, it's also obvious that they were 
>> working on the data feed all afternoon, as the carrier to noise was a little 
>> bit lower after the GOES-16 feed was added,  there were some data drop outs 
>> around 21Z. But now it is stable, and I am seeing a carrier to noise ratio 
>> of 17.2 to 1. That's right where it should be. 
>> 
>> It was a huge feat for NOAA/NWS to get that satellite up there. And in its 
>> own right, it was a huge feat to get the GOES-16 feed going on NOAAport. 
>> Outside of a minor glitch this afternoon, everything appears to be 
>> hunky-dory. Kudos to the National Weather Service, and their contractors, 
>> for a job well done.
>> 
>> Gilbert
>> 
>>> On Mar 2, 2017, at 3:46 PM, daryl herzmann <akrherz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Howdy,
>>> 
>>> Whatever it may be worth to the community, I have collected up ~10 minutes 
>>> worth (1.1GB yowzers) of the NOTHER GOES-R feed in this zip file.
>>> 
>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmesonet.agron.iastate.edu%2Fpickup%2Fgoesr%2Fgoesr_sample_10min.zip&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=F3ugjHLWpIcXBWSOHGPEEY8I89zGAbC17zUb1M7ER%2FY%3D&reserved=0
>>> 
>>> I chomped off the WMO header (36 bytes worth) within each product so that 
>>> each file should be a valid netcdf4 file.
>>> 
>>> daryl
>>> 
>>> PS, my testing pqact entry:
>>> 
>>> NOTHER    (TI....) (....) (......) (...)
>>>  PIPE    -close    python /home/ldm/chomp.py /home/ldm/goesr/\1_\2_\3_\4.nc
>>> 
>>> and my chomp.py script
>>> 
>>> ===============================
>>> import sys
>>> 
>>> fn = sys.argv[1]
>>> data = sys.stdin.read()
>>> o = open(fn, 'wb')
>>> o.write(data[36:])
>>> o.close()
>>> ==============================
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> On Thu, 2 Mar 2017, Mike Zuranski wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> Hi Patrick,
>>>> 
>>>> I have, though I haven't tried to take any action on it yet.  First off,
>>>> everything I see is coming in from NOTHER, not NIMAGE.  But the following
>>>> pattern works for me:  -p "TI[RS].[01][0-9] KNES"
>>>> 
>>>> That pattern should catch anything for GOES-16.  One interesting note, I
>>>> see TIRC.. products, looks like a fresh set every 5 minutes so I'm guessing
>>>> that could be CONUS since they haven't committed to East or West yet.  But
>>>> like I said, haven't investigated too deeply yet.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> ~Mike Zuranski
>>>> 
>>>> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Patrick L. Francis <wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> i've been running some notifymes on the dish and haven't seen anything for
>>>>> goes-16 or goesr yet.. has anyone else noticed a pattern?
>>>>> 
>>>>> ??????????????????????...........
>>>>> 
>>>>> Patrick L. Francis
>>>>> 
>>>>> Director of Research & Development
>>>>> 
>>>>> Aeris Weather
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Faerisweather.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=%2BZHHTJGS5dN%2BqmxgV%2Ft9H4ZhPb0zysVzuT3LOx42Lwo%3D&reserved=0
>>>>> 
>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmodelweather.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=MojrZSV72sLh%2FzlCjryc7YtVrpxvatdDj%2Ft4sSqRbpA%3D&reserved=0
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx
>>>>> 
>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffacebook.com%2Fwxprofessor%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=Kw7tROTavlouAn7pUQqgxdVo0UuujxCFaWrEb%2F%2FGiNA%3D&reserved=0
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> ??????????????????????
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> ..
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
>>>>> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
>>>>> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
>>>>> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
>>>>> do not want to be made public.
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> ldm-users mailing list
>>>>> ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>>> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit:
>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unidata.ucar.edu%2Fmailing_lists%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=b6Ww%2BbwFke63cDDs2jLZhrKPJwBcNI4YrJw78krz5Zc%3D&reserved=0
>>>>> 
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> -- 
>>> /**
>>> * daryl herzmann
>>> * Systems Analyst III -- Iowa Environmental Mesonet
>>> * 
>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmesonet.agron.iastate.edu&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=AySFvSBUQ4S584R%2FpSm3QNkGtdaRZxOHYmEBHQtR66U%3D&reserved=0
>>> */
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
>>> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
>>> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
>>> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
>>> do not want to be made public.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> ldm-users mailing list
>>> ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit: 
>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unidata.ucar.edu%2Fmailing_lists%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=b6Ww%2BbwFke63cDDs2jLZhrKPJwBcNI4YrJw78krz5Zc%3D&reserved=0
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 01:33:16 +0000
>> From: Gilbert Sebenste <gilbert@xxxxxxx>
>> To: daryl herzmann <akrherz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Cc: "ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>   "noaaport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <noaaport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: Re: [ldm-users] The big day has come: GOES-16 is here! At
>>   least experimentally...
>> Message-ID: <C9EB0AF5-9110-42F3-A0D0-F02C57BBE814@xxxxxxx>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>> 
>> Hey everyone,
>> 
>> I am now seeing decoded imagery for the first time on the visible, infrared, 
>> and water vapor channels from GOES-16. All I have to say is:
>> 
>> Ho.
>> Ly.
>> Crap.
>> 
>> First of all, as expected, GOES-16 is not for the faint-hearted. The files 
>> for water vapor imagery alone are ~72 MB every five minutes! That said...
>> 
>> I am seeing features on the water vapor imagery I don't even know how to 
>> interpret. There are things showing up that are not showing up on the lower 
>> resolution GOES-13 and 15 imagery. With the visible imagery, high-altitude 
>> military aircraft contrails show up pretty much as well as they do on the 
>> ground looking up! For you photography buffs, this is like upgrading from 
>> the first digital SLR's to a Nikon D3400 or a Canon 5D MarkIII. The imager 
>> quality is much better. Yes, yes, the resolution is higher: but it's the 
>> imager! Just because your camera phone has 40 megapixels doesn't mean that 
>> the picture is any better than a 10 megapixel camera. If your lens stinks, 
>> it doesn't matter. In the case of GOES-16, the imager utterly rocks it!
>> 
>> Patrick is already posting image samples, but needless to say, the golden 
>> age of satellite meteorology ratchets up a big notch with GOES-16.
>> 
>> And kudos to the max to NOAA, NWS and everyone involved in the manufacturing 
>> of this incredible tool, getting it into orbit, and getting the data to us. 
>> Wow?just, wow.
>> 
>> Color me darn impressed,
>> 
>> Gilbert
>> 
>>> On Mar 2, 2017, at 6:23 PM, Gilbert Sebenste <gilbert@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Thanks, Daryl and Patrick! I guess the product IDs weren't built into the 
>>> LDM for GOES-16 yet, so NOTHER is the feedtype it is under.
>>> 
>>> It almost looks like somebody restarted an LDM around 19Z as there was a 
>>> momentary data dropout. In any case, it's also obvious that they were 
>>> working on the data feed all afternoon, as the carrier to noise was a 
>>> little bit lower after the GOES-16 feed was added,  there were some data 
>>> drop outs around 21Z. But now it is stable, and I am seeing a carrier to 
>>> noise ratio of 17.2 to 1. That's right where it should be. 
>>> 
>>> It was a huge feat for NOAA/NWS to get that satellite up there. And in its 
>>> own right, it was a huge feat to get the GOES-16 feed going on NOAAport. 
>>> Outside of a minor glitch this afternoon, everything appears to be 
>>> hunky-dory. Kudos to the National Weather Service, and their contractors, 
>>> for a job well done.
>>> 
>>> Gilbert
>>> 
>>>> On Mar 2, 2017, at 3:46 PM, daryl herzmann <akrherz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> Howdy,
>>>> 
>>>> Whatever it may be worth to the community, I have collected up ~10 minutes 
>>>> worth (1.1GB yowzers) of the NOTHER GOES-R feed in this zip file.
>>>> 
>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmesonet.agron.iastate.edu%2Fpickup%2Fgoesr%2Fgoesr_sample_10min.zip&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=F3ugjHLWpIcXBWSOHGPEEY8I89zGAbC17zUb1M7ER%2FY%3D&reserved=0
>>>> 
>>>> I chomped off the WMO header (36 bytes worth) within each product so that 
>>>> each file should be a valid netcdf4 file.
>>>> 
>>>> daryl
>>>> 
>>>> PS, my testing pqact entry:
>>>> 
>>>> NOTHER    (TI....) (....) (......) (...)
>>>> PIPE    -close    python /home/ldm/chomp.py /home/ldm/goesr/\1_\2_\3_\4.nc
>>>> 
>>>> and my chomp.py script
>>>> 
>>>> ===============================
>>>> import sys
>>>> 
>>>> fn = sys.argv[1]
>>>> data = sys.stdin.read()
>>>> o = open(fn, 'wb')
>>>> o.write(data[36:])
>>>> o.close()
>>>> ==============================
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>>> On Thu, 2 Mar 2017, Mike Zuranski wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> Hi Patrick,
>>>>> 
>>>>> I have, though I haven't tried to take any action on it yet.  First off,
>>>>> everything I see is coming in from NOTHER, not NIMAGE.  But the following
>>>>> pattern works for me:  -p "TI[RS].[01][0-9] KNES"
>>>>> 
>>>>> That pattern should catch anything for GOES-16.  One interesting note, I
>>>>> see TIRC.. products, looks like a fresh set every 5 minutes so I'm 
>>>>> guessing
>>>>> that could be CONUS since they haven't committed to East or West yet.  But
>>>>> like I said, haven't investigated too deeply yet.
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> ~Mike Zuranski
>>>>> 
>>>>> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Patrick L. Francis <wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> i've been running some notifymes on the dish and haven't seen anything 
>>>>>> for
>>>>>> goes-16 or goesr yet.. has anyone else noticed a pattern?
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> ??????????????????????...........
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Patrick L. Francis
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Director of Research & Development
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Aeris Weather
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Faerisweather.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=%2BZHHTJGS5dN%2BqmxgV%2Ft9H4ZhPb0zysVzuT3LOx42Lwo%3D&reserved=0
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmodelweather.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=MojrZSV72sLh%2FzlCjryc7YtVrpxvatdDj%2Ft4sSqRbpA%3D&reserved=0
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> wxprofessor@xxxxxxxxx
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffacebook.com%2Fwxprofessor%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=Kw7tROTavlouAn7pUQqgxdVo0UuujxCFaWrEb%2F%2FGiNA%3D&reserved=0
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> ??????????????????????
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> ..
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
>>>>>> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
>>>>>> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
>>>>>> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
>>>>>> do not want to be made public.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> ldm-users mailing list
>>>>>> ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>>>> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit:
>>>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unidata.ucar.edu%2Fmailing_lists%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=b6Ww%2BbwFke63cDDs2jLZhrKPJwBcNI4YrJw78krz5Zc%3D&reserved=0
>>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> -- 
>>>> /**
>>>> * daryl herzmann
>>>> * Systems Analyst III -- Iowa Environmental Mesonet
>>>> * 
>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmesonet.agron.iastate.edu&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=AySFvSBUQ4S584R%2FpSm3QNkGtdaRZxOHYmEBHQtR66U%3D&reserved=0
>>>> */
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
>>>> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
>>>> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
>>>> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
>>>> do not want to be made public.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> ldm-users mailing list
>>>> ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit: 
>>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unidata.ucar.edu%2Fmailing_lists%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=b6Ww%2BbwFke63cDDs2jLZhrKPJwBcNI4YrJw78krz5Zc%3D&reserved=0
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
>>> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
>>> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
>>> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
>>> do not want to be made public.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> ldm-users mailing list
>>> ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit: 
>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unidata.ucar.edu%2Fmailing_lists%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=b6Ww%2BbwFke63cDDs2jLZhrKPJwBcNI4YrJw78krz5Zc%3D&reserved=0
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
>> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
>> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
>> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
>> do not want to be made public.
>> 
>> 
>> ldm-users mailing list
>> ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit: 
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unidata.ucar.edu%2Fmailing_lists%2F&data=02%7C01%7CBrian.Hughes%40unisys.com%7Ceefcf7a1de8d41c8d96108d461d54e60%7C8d894c2b238f490b8dd1d93898c5bf83%7C0%7C0%7C636241016155264513&sdata=b6Ww%2BbwFke63cDDs2jLZhrKPJwBcNI4YrJw78krz5Zc%3D&reserved=0
>>  
>> 
>> End of ldm-users Digest, Vol 98, Issue 9
>> ****************************************
> 
> _______________________________________________
> NOTE: All exchanges posted to Unidata maintained email lists are
> recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and made publicly
> available through the web.  Users who post to any of the lists we
> maintain are reminded to remove any personal information that they
> do not want to be made public.
> 
> 
> ldm-users mailing list
> ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit: 
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/