Re: [ldm-users] NWS official statement on the data outage of 2/13/2017

  • To: Ray Weber KA1JJM <admin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] NWS official statement on the data outage of 2/13/2017
  • From: Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate <gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 17:17:01 -0600
Best practice in networking calls for two separate power sources. Rarely
will you see a short circuit cause simultaneous outages unless it manages
to kill two separate battery plants. OR, if they are powering from AC, they
are a mission critical asset, so they should have two power feeds, coming
from two different UPS's.

If they lacked diversity in sources, that's a problem and could lead to an
outage if they had a single circuit failure.

Or, they could have done router software or config updates on both routers
simultaneously, while they were swapped out.

The possibilities are finite, really, and I suspect they'll have someone
investigate.

gerry

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:36 PM, <admin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ive been there too Kevin, but most interconnects from circuits to routers
> now use fiber optic jumpers in datacenters. For that exact reason. But we
> weren't there, could have been anything.
>
> Ray
>
> On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:29pm, "Kevin W. Thomas" <
> kwthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> > I'm far from a hardware expert, but I do know electrical shorts can go
> thru
> > cables and take out lots of hardware.
> >
> > Many years ago, I administered a PDP 11/44.  The computer room took a
> hit from
> > lightning that fried a lot of computer boards.  The surge went down all
> the
> > cable lines and fried a chip an almost all of the VT100's that were
> attached
> > to it.  Distance to the computer room didn't matter.
> >
> > This sounds similar.
> >
> >       Kevin W. Thomas
> >       Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
> >       University of Oklahoma
> >       Norman, Oklahoma
> >       Email:  kwthomas@xxxxxx
> >
> >>Stonie is right on here. Another thing I find suspicious is that "Two
> routers
> >> failed simultaneously". The odds of that are next to impossible. More
> likely the
> >> routers responded improperly to an event.
> >>
> >>Ray Weber
> >>MA Skywarn
> >>
> >>On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:37pm, "Stonie R. Cooper" <
> stonewall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> on

> Network
> and

> still

> >>For list information or to unsubscribe,  visit:
> >> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/

Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS
405.325.6371