Re: [ldm-users] LDM tries to take Saturday off...

My first thought is along the lines of Gilbert's. I'd recommend doing a
scour hourly, and let it incrementally get things.

My second thought is a local machine room server or network device reboot.
Are you living in a Windows world where reboots are the norm and not the
exception?

gerry

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Gilbert Sebenste <
sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2014, Phil Birnie wrote:
>
>  WARN: Processed oldest product in queue: 23704.5 s.
>> WARN: pbuf_flush(): write(15,,4096) to decoder took 10 s:
>> /home/ldm/decoders/dcgrib2 -d ldm/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_GFS.log -e
>> GEMTBL=/store1/gempak/GEMPAK6.7.0/gempak/tables
>>
>> We never see either of these errors the rest of the week.
>>
>> It's very strange - there's nothing else on the system that is running at
>> that particular time that would slow down the machine and it's been
>> happening for several months now.  Both of these warnings would seem to
>> indicate a lack of resources, but I don't understand why this would occur
>> on Saturdays and not throughout the rest of the week.
>>

> Something is slowing down the machine---maybe a scour process?---causing
> it to have an extremely long delay in writing products. Is there any way to
> check the load average and other things to see what might be happening?
> I have found that if the load average goes above 6 or so on my older
> servers, it stops writing to disk and I get those errors.
>
> I would check for:
>
> Scouring times. Does anything just get scoured on that morning?
>
> GEMPAK 6.7 has a grib decoder that can take up an entire CPU when
> data is coming in (GEMPAK 7.1 takes care of that)
>
> DNS outage? (Keep 8.8.8.8, Google's public DNS server on standby).
>
> Those are off the top of my head...
>
> Gilbert

> *******************
> Gilbert Sebenste