Re: [ldm-users] Still seeing significant delays on Level 2 data

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Wojtowicz, David P Jr wrote:

Gilbert,

NEXRAD2 is coming in on time here at notam.atmos.uiuc.edu.   However  I'm
seeing lots of these to weather3 on notam:

Ohforcryingoutloud(tm). I just did a traceroute to UIUC,
and just noticed that our IT department has switched the
path to me from you...from Internet2 to an 80 meg, partially
saturated commodity Internet connection. Why in the world
this was done, I haven't the foggiest idea.

I also found out that the Radar Operations Center was doing
maintenance late this morning which required 5 minutes of
downtime on the level 2 data. That explains the error
message I got a while ago.

Anyway, to fix this problem, I am going to:

1. Switch over my L2 feed to UNIDATA or Wisconsin, as traceroutes there
clearly indicate the path is I2

2. Apologize for the inconvenience to my downstream sites (and those here as I struggled to figure out what was happening)

3. Talk to our IT department and see if they can make it so that all
NIU connections to and from UIUC once again go through I2

4. Go to the Burger King drive-thru and ask for directions to McDonald's

OK, maybe not the latter...but thanks to everyone who helped me diagnose
and get to the bottom of this issue!

Gilbert

Gilbert Sebenste                                                    ********
E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***