Re: [ldm-users] bigbird

I recently had an interesting discussion with Mike Schmidt about large numbers of cores and LDM. It sounds like the real key isn't core-count, but memory for the queue, and not (ever) having to swap that off to disk. I'm wondering if you're large queues are going to disk for virtual, and hanging, because of the core count? Just thinking out loud.

I'll keep you posted!

gerry

Pete Pokrandt wrote:
Gerry,

Let me know how it goes for you running Scientific Linux 6.0. I recently tried it on the replacement for idd.aos.wisc.edu, and found that with a large queue, the ldm would stop responding after a certain amount of time. It seemed to work with smaller queue sizes (less than half the size of my physical RAM) but if I went bigger than that, it would always hang. One of the ldmd processes would peg at 100% of one CPU and no data would flow after that.

There's a back and forth between me and Unidata support over at http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/ldm/maillist.html (subjects are "New IDD relay - ldm is hanging after some time") It looked like it was hanging somehow in the glibc library while doing I/O.

I backed it out to CentOS 5.6 and for now it seems to be stable.

The new server has dual Opteron 6128 processors (2x8 cores), 32 Gb of RAM and dual 300 Gb SAS drives. Any queue 16 Gb or bigger and I ran into trouble.

Pete