[ldm-users] bigbird

bigbird is back and should be working. I had one config error yesterday (firewall) which is corrected. Apologies for the inconvenience.

If you see problems or anomalies with bigbird, please let me know.

Background:
bigbird has been acting a bit unstable of late. It was also running CentOS 4.8 and I was having problems getting security patches on it. When I had problems Thursday evening and again Friday morning, it was time to update the OS.

I made the switch from CentOS to Scientific Linux. SciLinux is supported by Fermi Lab, with a full-time staff, and is on the same lines as CentOS: A free (as in beer) version of RHEL. Installation from DVD went very well, and a base server install was about half the time as for CentOS based on what I recall. Like so much else, it does start SELinux in enforcing mode by default but this is an easy first-boot fix.

CentOS appears to be suffering some community fragmentation and strife. RHEL 6.1 is out but CentOS hasn't released a v6.0 yet. SciLinux was fast off the mark to get their 6.0 out. I'm a little concerned about the future of CentOS.

gerry
--
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983

  • Search the ldm-users archives: