[ldm-users] Level 2 radar data delays and redundancy

Hello everyone,

I want to bring up a concern I have about Level 2 redundancy. Right now, 3 sources, external to NOAA, relay Level2 data to University and commercial customers. Purdue, OU and Max Gigapop (MG).

During the OU power outage a few weeks ago, all of us were getting delayed Level 2 data. I tried to feed from sites which fed off of Purdue, but they were sending out delayed data as well. Maybe they were down at the time, I don't know. But what data was getting to us was very delayed...and ultimately was coming via MG.

The issue of them sending greatly delayed and missing data has been going on for well over a year now. I appreciate all the sites sending out Level 2 data, either free, or for profit from the source. However, for the data to be effective for use, it must be consistently available almost all the time (and by that, I am not saying 99.999%, but I am saying it needs to be there almost all of the time, and within a few minutes of real-time, if you relay the data). I have also heard from others that the consistently delayed data is a problem for their institutions or companies. My question is, what is/are the cause(s) of the problem(s), and what can be done about it so that we have three reliable Level 2 data sources? Is it a slow server? Not enough bandwidth? Old LDM running at less than optimal configuration? How can these or whatever issues causing the difficulties be solved, and what needs to be done?

Tonight, the UNIDATA server was slightly less than overloaded, and I managed to get a rtstats snapshot of the level 2 data routing and delays.

http://weather.admin.niu.edu/level2rtstats.gif

You can see that virtually every arrow coming out of Maryland has a cream color to it: a delay of over 50 minutes. Coming out of Purdue and OU, less than 1 minute. Purdue seems to absorb the feed from MG. TAMU, LSU(?) are getting very delayed feeds from MG. Everyone else is spot-on except for one.

Again, I'm not ripping on MG; I'm asking questions and trying to get some answers. If OU and Purdue go down, I want that third spoke in the wheel to be just as good as the other two in terms of reliability, and speed.

On a secondary note...I just learned that they got a bypass going for
the Internet/I2 connections here at NIU tonight. So, while everything else is down here on campus, my servers, email and data should be humming along just fine tonight. Unless, of course, another power substation around here decides it wants to do this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-711022817903815072#

Thanks for your time,

Gilbert

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***