[ldm-users] Weatherx.admin.niu.edu data outage post-mortem

An earthquake last night at 3:59 AM Central time centered 10 miles northeast of DeKalb, IL, where we are, knocked out the power to NIU's main server room. Some of the UPS's failed to kick in, causing all of them to not work. Some servers came back on their own when power was restored, but other servers had to be brought back kicking and screaming.

Since this affected our DNS, it was likely you couldn't get through to us if you didn't have me as an IP address. So, if there's entries in your ldmd.log file that you were switched over to a backup site this morning,
that's why. All is well now.

Apologies for the inconvenience. I woke up at 3:59 AM to 2-3 seconds of a loud roar, followed by up to 10 seconds of mild but sharp shaking.
Pretty neat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fq6dkeXc3g

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: