[ldm-users] Weatherx.admin.niu.edu ice notice...

Hello everyone,

A little heads up. Around 18Z we experienced an outage of around 15 minutes. We're 60 miles west of Chicago, and we're looking at a quarter inch of ice on power lines with 30 MPH wind gusts right now. My servers stayed up, but the router in our building crashed and it took some time for it to come back online. That resulted in complete loss of network services to our building. We're now losing power on the north side of the city, and power lines are sagging around the city now as the weight of the ice on them continues to increase. Our airport AWOS apparently had a power interruption as it was down for a while.

I'm hoping we don't have a full-blown power outage, but the good news is that if we do, we can backfeed power from two different sources: the Chicago area, and the nuke plant to our west. Electricians manually have to throw switches to backfeed power in case one of the sources is down. Usually, that results in a 2-3 hour downtime if they're coming from off campus, or 1-2 hours (sometimes less) during business hours. Still, for those who use me as primary, ensure your ldmd.conf has other sites as a backup, just in case, if you want all the data from this storm.

And finally, Merry Christmas, happy 2010 and happy holidays to all. May all your packets get through!

Gilbert

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: