Re: [ldm-users] Wierd LDM Scour error..

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Brendon Hoch wrote:

This does bring up an interesting concept. With more Linux distributions moving to yum for keeping current, wouldn't it be great if LDM (or other Unidata software) could be installed or updated via a Unidata yum repository?

I'm not speaking for UNIDATA here, and I'm not meaning to insult anyone by what I say, but...

There are several major flavors of Linux they'd have to maintain (Fedora, CentOS/RHEL, Ubuntu, Mandriva, Debian...well, check out Distrowatch.com for the complete list), which would make UNIDATA have to do an RPM for almost every one. And since it is easy to compile, and with so many variations on machines...I think it's just better for UNIDATA to keep RPM's (or binaries) off of LDM. This is one piece of software that is worth learning rather than just doing an "rpm -ivh ldm-6.7.0.rpm"...and it doesn't take long to do.

Did I say it would cost UNIDATA a boatload of time to put the RPM's for each distro together? ;-)

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: