Re: [ldm-users] [Matthew.Foster@xxxxxxxx: Re: 20090109: root owns ldmd.log]

Paul Prestopnik wrote:
I may be out of my league here, but we had a similar problem.  This is what
we discovered with an explanation from our IT gurus:

In Debian there is a system wide cron that rotates all log files that are
controlled by syslog and also meet certain criteria (file size, modify time,
etc.). Under some circumstances these criteria will all be met, and when the
logs are rotated they get owned by root.

Most distros include logrotate(8) these days. RHEL certainly does. Where ever you rotate LDM's logs, just add:

        create 0664 ldm ldm

in the right spot and that will take care of it.

Not that I've actually done that on mine (/makes note to self/).

One simple workaround is to simply rotate your logs via the ldm's cron right
before the system cron runs. The system cron gets run at 6:24 everyday, so you
can just rotate around 6:15 and usually that will work.

Simple, but ugly, unless you don't have root access.

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws@xxxxxx

  • Search the ldm-users archives: