[ldm-users] 20090109: root owns ldmd.log

Hi Matt,

re:
>I have an ldm install (6.7.0) that for some reason has its ldmd.log file
>owned by root, mode 600 when it starts up.  I've gone back over my
>install steps, and I can't see what I've missed.

If ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log does not exist before any logging is performed,
then it will be created by syslogd.  Since syslogd runs as 'root', the
log file will be owned by 'root'.

>Anyone know what I might have done wrong?

I always "touch" the file as 'ldm'' before configuring
/etc/syslog.conf.  That way, 'ldm' owns it from the beginning.

At this point, I recommend that you:

- stop your LDM
- change the ownership and read/write permissions on ~ldm/logs/ldmd.dlog
- restart your LDM

Everything should be OK after this.

* Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box 3000 *
* yoksas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*

  • Search the ldm-users archives: