[ldm-users] EMWIN feed change from NIU; new ldm beta installed...

Hello all,

For those of you who used the EMWIN feed under the EXP header on www.ehs.niu.edu...

I had to rename the machine to www2.ehs.niu.edu. For those of you feeding EMWIN from the previous machine, www.ehs.niu.edu, please make a note of it. Thanks!

In the process, I upgraded that machine, and all my other ones ingesting NOAAport (weatherx.admin.niu.edu), including my satellite receiver machine, to ldm-6.7.0.3. Although it is still a beta version, I have noticed a roughly 10%-33% improvement on average, and a lot more under heavy load, to the GEMPAK dcgrib2 decoder. During peak (or even high) periods of incoming model data, the dcgrib2 decoder would max out a CPU on one of my machines. Now, it doesn't even come close. As a result, the load average is considerably lower during high volume model ingest times, and obviously, I like that. This also improves the load on the McIDAS decoders as well, though nowhere near as dramatic as dcgrib2 from GEMPAK.

Otherwise, as has been the case with ldm-6.7.0.1, this version appears to be very stable, and I like the improved ldmd.conf and pqact.conf error detection, and the other improvements made to the log file messages.

However, I am mildly amused that the UNIDATA stats page:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex?www2.ehs.niu.edu

shows that I am running LDM 6.4.5 on www2.ehs.niu.edu, as well as getting the CONDUIT feed. Rest assured neither are true, so I don't know what's going on there. Otherwise, all my other machines show the correct version/data streams on the rtstats page.

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: