Re: [ldm-users] CentOS

I've not played with Xen under CentOS and I'm not sure it's supported under v5. Worth a spin to the CentOS page to check. Yep. CentOS 5 supports the Xen hypervisor. Should allow you to do what you want.

VMware is a simple install on CentOS.

A recent thread on performance with virtualization suggests that applications with lots of I/O will take bigger performance hits than those which are essentially processor-bound, as one would expect.

Running LDM under Xen would require one to have sufficient dedicated ram for the product queue. That could get pricey.

gerry

Chris Gidley wrote:
As a follow up to the whole Fedora 7 issue....

I am running Ubuntu Server which handles certain things really well, however, I want the compatability with ldm/gempak that it sounds like CentOS gets. So I started looking more into virtualization, to have two Operating Systems running off the same hardware, because I want to use CentOS, but I don't want to get rid of the OS i have now.

Has anyone done this before or have a good idea of how to do VMware-ish virtualization on a linux machine? Thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983

  • Search the ldm-users archives: