Re: [ldm-users] Fedora 7 Installs

Dan Vietor wrote:
On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 14:08 -0500, Michael Allen wrote:
This is an interesting topic, especially because I'm preparing to install Fedora 7 here, too.

Is there a particular preferred installation method?  If so, what is it?

Fedora 7 only comes on DVD even though I've seen some references to rehashed CD ISOs out there. You can put the ISO image on a web or FTP server and have it install that way if you don't have a DVD drive.

My experience with upgrades have come with very mixed reviews. Up until Core 5, an upgrade usually was inserting CDs and rebooting. But with Core 6 and now with 7, upgrades mean you have a partially running system when you're done. If you know how to get yourself out of RPM purgatory, then you can get the system back to running order. But this is only for experienced admins.

My recommendation is that Linux has now gotten to the point where upgrades are just not feasible. There are too many packages, too many hardware configurations and too many options to do upgrades. My horror on going from Core 6 to 7 confirmed this. I now believe reinstall is the only realistic option. I won't do an upgrade for other Fedora systems.

When I install a Linux system, I do a manual partition with a 5GB "/var" or larger for web servers, a 10GB "/" for the OS and the rest of the disk in "/home". This means you can reload without blowing everything away. I just reformat the "/" and "/var" partitions and then all your data remains.

I still prefer two physical volumes. I usually keep /usr/local on the 2nd (and larger) volume along with /home, /share and /opt. I can obliterate the system physical volume and reinstall and recover /home, and the others, in short order. FC4 caused me to go back to this. I had done it religiously before WindowsNT turned me into an agnostic.

gerry
--
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983

  • Search the ldm-users archives: