Re: NIDS display in general (was RE: 20040505: CRAFT data hardware)

IRAS is a java app and requires that the files be unzipped. One
needs to gererate their own map backgraounds (softwarea and geodata
provieded) but it is a decent first look app.

Don can correct me, but I beleive since it is java, it was used as a
guide in development for the IDV.

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/radar/iras.html

mjl

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Michael W Dross wrote:

> The NSSL package that is being sent to the NWSFO's  is WDSS.
> It is an awesome software package that ingest level II Wideband data and
> using it's own
> algorithms to generate and plot TVS,MESO, Hail Size etc.  It tracks storm
> attributes
> and cross sectional analysis (RHI) and more.
>
> http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/wrd/msd/wdss.html
>
> With new Fair Weather Policy the NWS is about to adopt, we might be able
> to get the code (linux) of WDSS.  That would make Level II worth having.
> Otherwise the best we have to display Level II data is GEMPAK and its very
> limited  with no Attribute decoding/plotting.
>
> I think we ought to push to get the WDSS software made available to the
> University and Private Sectors.  The would really make the best use of
> Level II data IMHO.

> Michael Dross                             mdross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Duke Power Company                  Meteorologist/Scientist
> 9700 David Taylor Dr.               Voice: 704-594-0341
> Charlotte, NC 28269                       Mobile: 980-722-0756
>

> |---------+-------------------------------->
> |         |           Robert Mullenax      |
> |         |           <rmullenax@univ-wea.c|
> |         |           om>                  |
> |         |           Sent by:             |
> |         |           owner-ldm-users@unida|
> |         |           ta.ucar.edu          |
> |         |                                |
> |         |                                |
> |         |           05/05/2004 03:17 PM  |
> |         |                                |
> |---------+-------------------------------->
>
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>   |       To:       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   |       cc:       ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   |       Subject:  NIDS display  in general (was RE: 20040505: CRAFT data
> hardware)                                              |
>
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>

> Just as aside, I know a few of us have inquired over the years
> about Unidata apps displaying the Storm Attribute table
> that is attached to the Composite Reflectivity Product.
>
> I realize that this certainly has to have a lower priority,
> but are there any plans for either GEMPAK, McIDAS or IDV
> to be able to display the table and plot the info over
> imagery?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert Mullenax

  Dr. Mark J. Laufersweiler     |
  School of Meteorology         |     Those who give up essential
  University of Oklahoma        |   liberties for temporary safety
  laufers@xxxxxx                | deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  (405) 325-6032                |             - Benjamin Franklin
  (405) 325-7689  (fax)         |

  • Search the ldm-users archives: