RE: 20040505: CRAFT data hardware

Thanks, Tom.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Yoksas [mailto:yoksas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 11:38 AM
To: Robert Mullenax
Cc: ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 20040505: CRAFT data hardware

>From:  Robert Mullenax <rmullenax@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Robert,

>Can some of you that are receiving CRAFT data and using dcnexr2 to decode
it
>give me an idea of what hardware setup you have (CPUS, disk, RAM) and how
>many sites you are receiving.

The UPC currently ingests and decodes (uncompresses and files via
dcnexr2) all CRAFT sites on two different PC platforms:

FreeBSD (4.9-STABLE)
2 x Athlon 2400+
Tyan SN2466N-4M motherboard
2 x 1 GB RAM
300 GB hardware RAID (Adaptec RAID card)

Fedora Core 1 (2.4.22-1.2188.nptlsmp)
2 x Athlon 2800+
Tyan SN2466N-4M motherboard
3 x 1 GB RAM (was running with 1 GB until Monday)
500 GB software RAID (my experience with the Promise Tech TX2000 under Linux
                      was not rewarding)

Both systems are ingesting ALL datastreams available through the IDD
and decoding everything with GEMPAK decoders, most with McIDAS-XCD
decoders, several with our netCDF decoders, and running the ADDE remote
server.

Our experience is that the FreeBSD platform performs measurably better
than the one running Fedora Core 1.  This may or may not have something
to do with the hardware RAID on the FreeBSD system.  I have been
experimenting with various tunings on the Linux system to see if we can
better performance, the most notable of which was writing a scouring
script in Tcl and using it to prune the number of files kept in the
nexrad/craft (64), nexrad/NIDS (64), and images/sat (96) directory
trees used by GEMPAK decoders.

--+
* Tom Yoksas                                             UCAR Unidata
Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                  P.O. Box
3000 *
* yoksas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                   Boulder, CO
80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service