20031121: GVAR Images into LDM

>From:  Aaron Cline <acline2@xxxxxxx>

Hi Aaron,

>How does one go about getting GVAR GOES Images into LDM?  Would the best
>way be to write a script that grabs the image from the ADDE server using
>McIDAS, then save it to disk, then insert it into the LDM queue?

I have used this approach with good results.  It is especially nice
if you already want the data on the machine where you will write
the data files accessed by ADDE.

>Is there anyway LDM can get it from gvar files directly?
>That would just be super.

I am not quite sure I understand this question.  If you have the GVAR
available in files, you can use pqinsert to insert them into your LDM
queue and tag them with a datastream name, etc.  If you are ingesting
the images using something like an SDI box, then the files will
typically not be directly usable the end user.  In this case, I would
use your first approach which will put the data into AREA files and
then send them.  This is exactly the way the imagery in the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream are generated (ADDE IMGCOPY) and then sent
(pqinsert) to downstream sites.

>Thanks,

No worries.

* yoksas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                   Boulder, CO 80307 *