Re: LDM transmission logs

Daniel,

>Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:24:47 -0500
>From: "Lemay,Daniel [CMC]" <Daniel.Lemay@xxxxxxxx>
>To: "'Steve Emmerson'" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: LDM transmission logs

> Can I conclude from your answer that if my "clients" use LDM 6 I cannot
> monitor what files I "send" to them?

As the LDM 6 is currently, the only way to get an upstream LDM 6 to log
data-product metadata upon transmission is to put the process into
"debug" logging (e.g., by sending the process two USER2 signals).  This
has the unfortunate effect of logging too much information.

One can use the "ldmadmin watch" capability to monitor what data
products arrive in the queue.

One can also use the rtstats webpage at

    <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/rtstats/>

to monitor performance.

The webpage

<http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/basics/monitoring.html>

contains information on monitoring LDM performance.

> If this is the case, why this possibility have been lost in passing for
> version 5 to version 6?

Brain damage?  :-)

Seriously, I'm thinking about adding this capability to the LDM 6 code
(the lack of this capability bit me in the LDM workshop I just gave).

> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Regards,
Steve Emmerson