-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 12:29 PM

Hello,

I am switching my LDM machine from a Sun Solaris 8 machine to a PC running
RedHat 9.  This PC will feed the data via NFS to 4 Sun Solaris 8 machines,
who in turn run GEMPAK scripts on the data and post imagery to the web.  My
prior setup had the 4 Suns mounting the NFS share of another Sun and things
went well.  I just made the switchover, i.e. made the PC/Redhat machine the
NFS server to the 4 Suns, and the mount went fine.  The problem is, now the
GEMPAK scripts take a very long time to run on the Suns.  A simple script
takes a couple minutes where it used to take 20 seconds.  I am assuming that
this is because of the communication between the PC and the Suns via the NFS
mount.  Are there any NFS settings I can use to make the data read faster?
Is this even the problem?  Has anyone faced this problem?  Any wisdom on the
situation would be helpful.  Thanks!

Patrick
Patrick O'Reilly
Meteorological Decision Support Scientist
The STORM Project - University of Northern Iowa
patrick.oreilly@xxxxxxx  ~  ph: 319-273-3789
http://www.uni.edu/storm

"No trees were killed in the making of this e-mail...however,
a large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced."

  • Search the ldm-users archives: