Re: RedHat support changes

On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 09:34 PM, Steve Ochani wrote:

What do you mean by "dropping support for it's free versions"?

They will still put out patches,software udpates etc for there "free" versions.

Other support such as e-mail/phone has always been on a cost basis.

That's not really true. RedHat is ending all "support" for versions older than 9 in December and 9 support will end in April.

RedHat presents 2 options; either pay for RedHat Enterprise Linux, or switch to the new "free" fedora distribution.

The problems as I see them are:

1) The release cycle on Fedora is supposed to be shorter than the old RedHat and they've said that errata for Fedora will tend to be version upgrades, rather than backported bug fixes. In addition, if they run into problems getting security fixes into packages, they'll drop the packages from the distribution. Also, it's not clear that there will be much more than a year or so of guaranteed errata.

2) Many vendors will only support their hardware and/or software on "approved" versions of linux. In the past, RedHat linux versions like 7.3, 8 and even 9 were "approved". It is not likely that vendors will approve a fast moving target like fedora. Users who need a supported platform to run apps like Oracle or TSM will have to choose between running on a free, unsupported distribution, or paying for RHEL.

3) There is essentially no support, at all, other than the community. RedHat is still controlling the distribution, but If you decide you need some commercial support later, you'll have to switch distributions again.

4) Old RedHat Linux support has a hard end date. Unless some interested 3rd parties pick up the torch, everyone running current versions of RedHat will have to switch, or face the unavailability of errata. This forces everyone to change distributions (upgrade?) to something by the end of the year, or April. The alternative would be to live on an unsupported distribution until the next security hole comes along. For some people, including myself, that's a tough pill and a lot of work.

FWIW, I've booted and played with Fedora 1. It would appear to be essentially RH 9+. Assuming errata will be available for a reasonable time after a version is released, I don't see any reason not to consider Fedora.

http://fedora.redhat.com. Some of this is in the FAQ there.

-JEff