Re: RedHat support changes

A lot of this discussion has been occurring over on the Beowulf list, where a lot of us had standardized on RH. There's mixed emotions, too.

I'm going to sit on the fence, though, a little longer. I suspect that we're seeing a minor paradigm shift, wherein we're going back to downloading our distro's and getting less support. But to be honest, that's the way my networking lab has been functioning for several years. Westandardized on RH because, at the time, it _had_ the best package management tool. We've experimented with Gentoo, debian and Slackware, and not changed because there haven't been significant benefits (in our opinion, for our purposes) to warrant it.

What I expect to see is Fedora will continue to be (about) the same quality as the workstation RH's have been. It's going to evolve faster than the Enterprise variants, but if one stops to think about it, an "enterprise" release should, generally, be rock-steady and respond rapidly only to major bug issues and security holes. If that's the realm you want to stay in, pay the money.

We also tend to evolve some pretty savvy linux administrators, so adding packages from tarball isn't nearly as scary as it might be. So if you're comfortable with the concept, and you want to stay in the Enterprise arena, pay the money and then go visit apache.org, or for that matter, fedora's distro sites and get what you need. While I expect the support folks will disavow problems introduced that way, my experience has been that I've made no more than 3 calls to RH since I adopted their distro (and we've actually bought copies, just to get the support and try it...). And, on one of the calls, I ended up providing the definative response to a documented problem that'd resided for several months on their bug lists, so I guess by most definitions, we're self-supporting.

Finally, it's been my experience that the folks at Unidata are knowledgable in the nuances of *nix to the point that if something breaks with LDM or GemPak installed, they likely can help sort it out better and faster than a call to a generic support line, where they never heard of LDM or GemPak.

I expect we'll look at SuSE.... er... SuVell... NoSE? and see how it stacks up. As I'm looking at some dual Opterons for Mesonet, I will almost have to go there initially, or sort out the issues with RH's newly found Fedora support for those chips. And, a colleague with a 256 node cluster of Opterons has nothing to say but good things about SuSE in his life.

So: I don't think it's quite time to panic. I think RH is changing to try to improve profitability, which I view as a good thing, overall, for Linux users. I think there are other distros out there that will be usable for this group, and that we'll continue to offer anecdotal support to each other on what we've found that works.

I don't think the sky's falling just yet.

Regards,
Gerry