>From owner-ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 13 2003 Jun -0400 00:53:18
Date: 13 Jun 2003 00:53:18 -0400
From: Dan Vietor <devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Robert Mullenax <rrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: question for Linux gurus
Cc: "ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 00:12, Robert Mullenax wrote:
> I have a new RH 8.0 Linux LDM box running here at NSBF/NMSU (my part time job
> that used to be my full time job).  The LDM is running fine on the box, but I
> have an
> OS (I think OS) related process running called kscand that is using most of
> what
> little CPU is being used.  It uses a stead 1-1.9% with excursions up to 8%.
> I have a fully patched RH 8.0.  I don't notice this when the LDM is not
> running.
>
> Thanks and sorry for the slightly OT question.

kscand is a kernel process that scans virtual memory assessing page
usage.  The idea is to give each page in memory or swap a score as to
whether its likely to be swapped into memory (high score) or out of
memory (low score).

You don't need to worry about it since its there to help make the OS
more efficient in its memory usage.  IIRC, its always been there but now
Linux shows kernel processes/threads in the process listing where it
didn't in earlier versions.

--
Dan Vietor <devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Unisys