Re: setting up LDM for first time

It's certainly possible, as it's one of the things I have my students do periodically... If they're going out into the real world and are going to be using the data to do modelling or forecasting, they should know where the data came from, and how to keep it going.

The docs are pretty good, although sometimes you have to do some looking, as I've found organization is not always intuitive. There are sample ldmd.conf and pqact.conf files available on the 'Net, through a google search.

To specifically answer your 'hostname' question, in Linux, from the command prompt, you can type 'hostname' and it should tell you what it is. If the system is getting a random DHCP address (dynamically getting an address, and it's not always the same, this will complicate your life considerably; talk to your lab manager/computer system manager about getting one box statically configured for your project.

You will also need to seek help from your network folks (via faculty, more'n likely) to get the appropriate port(s) openned through your campus firewall for that computer. I can vouch for the security of ldm if they need a reference, wearing another hat (network engineering and security).

Good luck,
Gerry

Matt Rosier wrote:
I'm a meteorology student at UNC Asheville and want to set up GEMPAK on one of our weather lab computers running Linux. I know it may be a lot of work, but I assume it's possible from using online documentation and software provided on the unidata site that I'm already registered with.

From my understanding, I must first set up LDM. From reading documentation,
after I install the LDM, I must send an e-mail to the idd-connect list, the only question I have is, what is my "Fully Qualified Hostname"?

Before I dive into this, do you think it is possible for someone who is fairly new to Linux to set up LDM/GEMPAK/etc on their own?

Thanks!

Matt

--
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx
Cell: 979.229.4301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578

  • Search the ldm-users archives: