Re: DM server hardware question

Dave,

I'm sure others will chime in here, but Linux on an Intel box (what I'm
running here) probably provides the most cost-effective solution around.
The OS is free so it's a matter of determining how big a box you need to
get your LDM and decoding jobs done.  You should be able to get a box in
the $1000-$1500 range depending on your needs.

                                  Art.

Arthur A. Person
Research Assistant, System Administrator
Penn State Department of Meteorology
email:  person@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, phone:  814-863-1563

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, David Fitzgerald wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My LDM server is a SUN Ultra-5 with 128Mb RAM and a 333 Mhz
> UltraSPARC IIi processor.  It's pretty maxed out with the data
> flow we have and I am looking to get a newer, more powerful
> server.
>
> I am just wondering what types of machines are in use by other
> institutions for their LDM servers.  I could easily configure a
> server on my own but would rapidly run into high costs,
> especially with the SUN servers.  If I had some input as to what
> other schools are using I can get a better idea on what we would
> need here to stay up with the data flow yet be cost effective.
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Dave

> David Fitzgerald
> System Administrator