Altimeter to SLP

------- Forwarded Message

Cc: Larry Riddle <lriddle@xxxxxxxx>

I need to convert altimeter settings to (a) station pressure and (b) sea
level pressure.  Since I'm not doing this in gempak (where everything
happens magically and automatically), but rather PERL and FORTRAN, I need
algorithms and not variable names.

The AMS's "Glossary of Meteorology" gives a description of how altimeter
settings are determined, but doesn't give any useful numbers for going the
other direction.  Wallace and Hobbs' "Atmospheric Science" gives an
equation for calibrating altimeters (2.35), but my math isn't good enough
for me to derive anything useful from that (although someone whose math is
much better than mine is attempting this).

As usual, great amounts of karma are accrued by anyone who assists me.

Larry

    -----===(*  Climate's what we expect, but weather's what we
   Larry Riddle : Climate Research Division : Scripps Institution of
Oceanography
       University of California, San Diego : La Jolla, California  92093-0224
       Phone: (858) 534-1869 : Fax: (858) 534-8561 : E-Mail: lriddle@xxxxxxxx

------- End of Forwarded Message

  • Search the ldm-users archives: