LDM: RPC access to portmapper vs firewall

I am running LDM on a firewalled machine that doesn't allow access to
remote
portmappers.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/networkSecurityAndSetup.html
states:

Currently, in order to start, the LDM requires that the portmapper
program, usually called portmap or rcpbind on some systems, be running
so that the LDM can register its remote procedure call (RPC) service.
After that, however, the portmapper is not required because client LDMs
will attempt to connect directly to port 388. Perhaps the best way to
implement a secure LDM server would be to have the portmapper running
but block or limit access to its port, port 111, via either TCP-Wrappers
or a firewall.

However, after restarting ldm on a server, I see the message:

FEEDME(moonbow.rap.ucar.edu): can't contact portmapper: RPC: Unable to
send; errno = Operation not permitted

Reading the source code protocol/h_clnt.c, this message is a result of
an RPC failure.  (And this failure resets the state of the connection.)

For this particular machine, sometimes I see a delay of several minutes
before
I see the message:
 FEEDME(moonbow.rap.ucar.edu): OK

This doesn't happen for the other two machines that are feeding this LDM
server.

Any idea why this error mesage happens on one machine, and not two
others?

  • Search the ldm-users archives: