Re: LDM performance vs scp?

Joe,

Just coming back from spring break, I read the LDM performance
comments:

> This morning, I was benchmarking file transfers using LDM vs copying the
> same file with 'scp'.  On the two files I checked, (1237KB and
> 2446KB),LDM took 3 times as long to send the file compared to scp.
> Actually, I do want to use this feature of pqact, but I don't think I
> can afford the overhead of using LDM.

Just as background, the LDM was designed to optimize the delivery of a
large number of small data products, but it was later extended to
deliver large products as well, by splitting them into smaller
segments.  Each small product or segment of a larger product is
delivered by a remote procedure call (RPC) that requires a round-trip
network transaction.

If you have control of both upstream and downstream LDMs, you can tune
the protocol for large products by changing the size of segments into
which larger products are split.  But you may not have as much control
as you want because TCP is still used to implement the RPC calls, and
it also splits large messages into smaller packets for reliable
delivery.  Nevertheless, you could try increasing the maximum size of
a chunk of data in the LDM by changing the definition of DBUFMAX in
protocol/ldm.h:

 #define DBUFMAX 16384

Be warned that if you do this, you have changed the protocol, so don't
expect your changed LDMs to interoperate with other LDMs.

The average size of data products delivered over the IDD has been
increasing over the last few years, but that size is still smaller
than 16384 bytes:

 Year    prod   prods  prods  mbytes  kbytes
         size    /hr    /sec   /hr     /sec

 1995    4971     6357  1.8     32      9
 1996    4486     9368  2.6     42     12
 1997    5742     9484  2.6     55     15
 1998    9680    15507  4.3    157     44
 1999   10328    33432  9.3    345     96
 2000   11070    42742 11.9    484    134
 2001   12505    34629  9.6    438    122
 2002   13926    45909 12.8    641    178

That table came from the longterm average of what the motherlode
server (and its predecessor thelma) deliver to a downstream site.

I would be interested in ftp or scp performance at copying a large
number of small products over a long period of time.  The LDM can
deliver over 50000 products per hour comprising over 1 Gbyte/hour to
multiple downstream sites for extended periods.  In LANs where RPC
latency is negligible, it can deliver up to 2000 products/second.

If the LDMs delivery performance for large products becomes more of an
issue, we may have to use different mechanisms for large products to
achieve something closer to optimum, but so far the number of products
has been more of a problem than their size ...

--Russ

russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  • Search the ldm-users archives: