Re: LDM performance vs scp?

At 4:19 PM -0600 3/29/2002, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
as an additional, but not objectively confirmed datapoint, scp and sftp
perform faster for me than ftp between identical machines.

scp/sftp typically compress the data before encrypting it though the
default setting varies by platform/version. Over a slow connection
but using fast machines this can greatly increase transfer rates if
your data is compressible by a large amount.  If the machine is slow
and the network fast, then the overhead of the compression can
actually slow things down.  compression can be enabled/disabled by
command line options.

--
| David Wojtowicz, Sr. Research Programmer
| Department of Atmospheric Sciences Computer Services
| University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
| email: davidw@xxxxxxxx  phone: (217)333-8390

  • Search the ldm-users archives: