Re: No can do on the new Redhat Kernel...

There are a number of changes in the 2.4.x kernels that are generally
worth the changes... the 2.4.11 kernel being a NOTABLE exception.  You
might think of this as, in general, consistent with the changes from
SunOS to Solaris... which was less than stellar, to, let's see...
Solaris 2.3 which finally started getting it right.

I've not had much problem with the kernels, save some issues that did
creep in.  I suspect that, unless you're having real problems, finding a
kernel that works, and leaving it there until you have need for an
upgrade (ie., until something you need DOESN'T work with that kernel) is
still a better tack with production systems.

<SOAPBOX>
If it's stable, and there is not a compelling reason to move, one
shouldn't start playing with Linux kernels.  Or Windows Service Packs.
Or Solaris subreleases.  Exceptions are security updates, but most of
these are applications and utilities that could be exploited.  Don't
give in to the concept that you can get something that exceeds a minor
incremental improvement unless you're a developer who sees such changes
and can guage them in your world.

2.4.9-6 is a security fix, but if you do not have a lot of users logging
into your system, the ptrace race condition is not as likely to be an
issue.

One other caveat:  RedHat-distributed kernels are general solutions.  I
strongly recommend that, if you're gonna play Linux, learn how to, at
least, recompile and install a kernel (My daddy always taught me to
never volunteer for nothin', but here goes...) and I can offer some
support for folks who need it via e-mail, and on a limited basis, plus
or minus other duties and occasional disasters here.

And while we're caveating, the default RedHat 7.[1|2] firewall installs
are likely to screw up LDM, and now that I think about it, may be
contributing to the load.  If you need firewalling, this is a case where
a seperate box may well be called for, with the firewall rules disabled
on the LDM box.

SUMMARY:  Don't change kernels just because a new one came out.  Leave
that to someone like me who should really know better (and *I* don't do
it on my home or production machines unless there is a compelling
reason).  Disable the default firewall rules on install, or later, if
you didn't do that on install, as they're gonna mess with your mind (I
worked in 6.2 and died on 7.[1|2]... what did they change).  If you're
gonna change kernels, get the source and recompile to make it consistent
with what you need, rather than keeping an unnecessarily bloated kernel
around.

</SOAPBOX>

gerry
--