Re: Quick question on scour.conf

Gilbert,
        As you discovered, you will recursivly delete the files.  It will
kick out a few errors too, since you have the subdirectories. I think
the scouring is actually a 'find' script down at the bottom and
doing all the work. You found out that the errors are OK...really just
messages. To avoid a lot of usless mail messages, try this in the
crontab: (Bourn/Bash syntax)
0       1,13    *       *      *       bin/ldmadmin scour >>/dev/null 2>&1

This will cut down the mail messages.
One other tip. I have had minor trouble with scouring large directory
structures while leaving the LDM ingestion and decoding turned on. The
recursion for scour can really chew up the CPU and Disk resources, and,
I have seen some image corruption in McIDAS files.  These files will clean
up eventually, but it is annoying.  It does not affect the LDM queue, so
your downstream sites will never see this. But it is embarassing to have
holes in the McIDAS display loops.
        Try this or something similar, once you have a good feel that the
scour is running OK.
        #!/bin/sh
        #  clean_out_atmos_data - wrapper script for ldm stop, scour, start
        /usr/local/ldm/bin/ldmadmin stop
        /bin/sleep 20
        /usr/local/ldm/bin/ldmadmin scour
        /bin/sleep 10
        /usr/local/ldm/bin/ldmadmin start
       #/bin/echo "done"
Test this on your backup system before implementing it live, there are
always quirks between machines and you don't want to hang the LDM. Again,
you can redirect nonsense-notes from cron around this script.
        /usr/local/ldm/bin/clean_out_atmos_data >>dev/null 2>&1
                                        Hope this helps!
                                                jdm

At 05:27 PM 2/9/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Thanks! I wanted to know if it recursively deleted all the old files
>below the directory being scoured...and the answer is yes. Thanks all!

****
>Gilbert Sebenste                                                     ********
>Internet: gilbert@xxxxxxx    (My opinions only!)                     ******
>Staff Meteorologist, Northern Illinois University                      ****
>E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                 ***
>web: http://weather.admin.niu.edu                                      **
>Work phone: 815-753-5492                                                *
****

James D. Marco, jdm27@xxxxxxxxxxx, jmarco1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Programmer/Analyst, System/Network Administration,
Computer Support, Et Al.
Office:                 1020 Bradfield Hall, Cornell University
Home:                   302 Mary Lane, Varna    (607)273-9132
Computer Lab:   1125 Bradfield          (607)255-5589

  • Search the ldm-users archives: