Re: Linux

I've also seen related type of problems when the linux box is configured at
half duplex and the switch/hub is configured at full duplex. We use a lot of
Intel pro 100 hardware cards and  eepro100-utils-1.9-2.i386.rpm contains
utilities to display and set the network card mode.  You  may want to look at
http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html, it contains an impressive list of
diagnostic network tools for different types of networking cards.

Hope this helps.

Luis Cano

David Wojtowicz wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Ted Jackson wrote:
>
> > A quickie, I hope.  It seems that Linux, RedHat at least, has a slow
> > throughput over the network when compared with, say, SGI.  I haven't been
> > able to find a good reason why or a solution.  For instance, throughput
> > over 100BaseT is only a little better than 10BaseT which is only a few
> > "K"/sec.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > Ted Jackson  -  Sysadm, Code 912
> > SCi. Syst. & Apps,. Inc
> >

> You say the 10BaseT was only a few K/sec.  You should see 800K/sec or so
> for a 10BaseT connection (assuming of course you are going over a local
> connection to another fast machine).  Even on a lowly P90 running Linux I
> regularly see 1600 K/sec with 100BaseT.   So I don't think its a limitation
> of Linux.
>
> With the 10BaseT operating this slowly its likely a bad cable, network
> card or something.... which would also impact the performance of
> the 100BaseT.   If plugged into a managed hub or switch, check
> the statistics for bad packets, collisions, etc.  You might try
> another cable, network card, port on hub, etc.

>  David Wojtowicz, Sr. Research Programmer / Systems Manager
>  Department of Atmospheric Sciences Computer Services
>  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>  email: davidw@xxxxxxxx  phone: (217)333-8390

  • Search the ldm-users archives: