Re: [idvusers] accessing NASA MERRA-2 via URL

> On Dec 21, 2016, at 2:23 PM, Teddy Allen <teddyallen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am having trouble accessing MERRA-2 data from their opendap URL located
> below:
> https://goldsmr4.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov/opendap/MERRA2_MONTHLY/M2TMNXSLV.5.12.4/1980/MERRA2_100.tavgM_2d_slv_Nx.198001.nc4.html
>   Does anybody have an idea on how to use the "Data URL" to load the data
> into IDV?
>
> In the past with other datasets, I substitute https with dods and everything
> works well. However, in the case above, I am unable to access the data via
> URL. Has anybody had success in accessing the MERRA-2 data from
> here:https://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/uui/datasets?keywords=%22MERRA-2%22

For this case, I navigated my browser to your HTML link above, then copied the
contents of the Data URL field out of the HTML form.  (This is actually
identical to just chopping off the .html from your link.)
Then I pasted it into the data chooser blank.  It prompted me for user name and
password, as registration is now required for data fetching.  When I entered
those, I got the list of variables and verified I was getting the data by
generating a plot.

Note that adding .dods definitely causes an error, because the IDV program has
to read the metadata (which is available via the .das and .dds extensions)
before getting the data.  I have argued in the past that IDV should be more
forgiving, and at least TRY to get the metadata by dropping any “.dods”
extension (or .das, .dds, .ddx, etc.) that may have been mistakenly included in
the URL.  But to no avail.  Maybe if more folks chimed in, though…