[idvusers] Making .zidv bundles smaller?

Hello IDV users.

I am looking for a way to make huge .zidv bundles smaller.
This is for a teaching collection I will value over time, so even a manual way
forward could be helpful.

Issues:
1. TIME: Not Good
The .zidv saving process does not respect time subsetting of datasets.

2. HORIZONTAL: Good
.zidv respects horizontal subsampling at dataset level, which helps with
satellite data.

3. VERTICAL: Not Good
The .zidv stores 3D grids for my 2D contour displays at 250 and 200mb levels.
Vertical subsampling the dataset (every Nth level) doesn’t offer “every18th
level”
(200mb in GFS), nor any handpicking from a list of levels.
I guess I could try “every 6th” in this case.

4. CACHE: No Help
I tried saving displayed data to cache, and remaking displays with cached data.
But cache is not saved into .zidv

I could use nco operators to subset levels and times by hand in the unzipped
data area.
But how could I then zip it back up into a .zidv?
And would it work?

Any assistance (including IDV developers…) or words of experience welcomed!

Brian

The 250MB zipped bundle in question:
https://weather.rsmas.miami.edu/repository/entry/show/RSMAS-UM+Repository+for+atm-ocean+data+and+its+science/The+Mapes+IDV+collection/IDV+Bundles/Classes+and+Labs/LMT+manual+materials/Chapter+1/Candidate+bundles/Malakas_ET_Rossby_wave+zipped+still+250MB?entryid=edcaf735-f611-490c-9ee3-cdd62ea252f6