Re: [idvusers] painting map lines on 3D topography

You can use any of the map types that the IDV supports, not just shape files.
I'm traveling now so don't have access to IDV but there was a way you could
load any existing map as data from the map display control and then use that
for the 3D map.

Don Murray
NOAA/ESRL/PSD and CU/CIRES

> On Oct 2, 2014, at 6:12 PM, Julien Chastang <chastang@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> We have some additional clarifying remarks for you and the list. You will
> need to obtain a shape file for the region of interest. We found these to
> be abundant on the web. Here is one for the US states:
>
> http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=f7f805eb65eb4ab787a0a3e1116ca7e5
>
> Please load the states.shp file in the Data Choosers as you would other
> data. Also load your model data, for example 1/2 degree GFS. Once your data
> are loaded, go to the 3D Map formula in the place described earlier and
> choose a "Topography" display. Click "Create Display". You will see a
> dialog where you have to enter MapData and Topography. Choose the shapefile
> for the MapData. For the Topography, the IDV will recognize Geopotential
> height at surface. If not, you need to pick the appropriate field from the
> 2D fields.
>
> Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.
>
> Best,
>
> Unidata IDV Support
>

>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Julien Chastang <chastang@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> After your data are loaded, please study the IDV Dashboard, Field Selector
>> Tab, Formulas Node (in the Data Sources), Maps, 3D Map.
>>
>> Also please attend the IDV workshop November 3-6. We are just down the
>> road :-)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Unidata IDV Support
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:50 AM, David Ahijevych <ahijevyc@xxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to render the map lines along the 3D surface, as if they were
>>> painted on.  At different viewing angles, the lines should appear stuck to
>>> the same surface location.
>>>
>>> As it is now, either my state borders are obscured by the topography or if
>>> I raise the vertical position of the state borders, they give the
>>> impression of "floating" above the topography or cutting through it.
>>>
>>> I know you can render images on a 3D surface but can you render maps on a
>>> 3D surface?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave