Re: [idvusers] IDV Font Quality

Hi everyone,

Having just recently taken a stab @ ISL scripting, I can attest to its utility
and potential ... and it does make for much nicer looking text rendering.  But
the key word is "potential" ... it currently lacks some basic features of
scripting languages ... such as the ability to set an integer value and then
increment it (very useful when creating an animation loop).

Please keep these comments coming.  The IDV Steering committee, on which sit
both Don Murray and I (apologies if I forgot anyone else on this thread), as
well as the Unidata Users Committee (which I chair) depend on these use case
assessments (good as well as "needs improvement") to give guidance to the
Unidata folks (who also appreciate hearing these real-world use cases too).

The font issue *has* improved in the past ten years ... one can choose from a
plethora of fonts installed on the host system, and the user has much more
control over placing the text strings which use the selected font when labeling
contours.  That capability came about via emails such as this thread which Paul
Graham started (thanks, Paul!).  Now we see a good call from the user base that
can hopefully motivate further improvements towards publication-quality
graphics.

On a side note, I'm very excited about the changes upcoming in the next
(version 5) release.  Memory usage, a big problem with hi-res imagery and
grids, has really improved, as well as progressive disclosure as the user zooms
into a region of interest.

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin Tyle, Systems Administrator
Dept. of Atmospheric & Environmental Sciences
University at Albany
Earth Science 235, 1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
Email: ktyle@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 518-442-4578