Re: [idvusers] What is the best way to iterate over a 3d grid using Jython?

  • To: Tom Whittaker <whittaker@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [idvusers] What is the best way to iterate over a 3d grid using Jython?
  • From: Paul Graham <meteorpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:14:59 +1100
Hi Tom,

The reason I implemented the "if temp==NaN...." logic is because IDV was
giving me 'NaN' errors.  I can't remember exactly the reason, but I
inserted this code as a 'quick fix' - perhaps not good programming practice
but I was eager to see if anything was working so I could get some results
to work with and it has remained.

Below is my code for calculating the wet-bulb temperature at each point.
I'm happy for others to use it and perhaps modify it to come up with
something better.

It works by adiabatically and isobarically cooling the dry bulb temperature
(or starting from a first guess temperature) to the wetbulb temperature,
which is implicitly defined by its saturation mixing ratio.  Perhaps there
is a better and faster way of doing this with IDV?

#Copyright (C) Paul Graham, December 2013. This library is free software;
#you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser
#General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation

def bolton(t):
  """Estimates the saturation vapour pressure in hPa at a given temperature,
     T, in celcius"""
  from java.lang import Math
  # return saturation vapour pressure at a given temperature in celcius
  es = 6.112*Math.exp(17.67*t/(t+243.5))
  return es

def findwetbulb(t,td,p):
  """Iteratively finds the wet bulb temperature in celcius at pressure
level, p in hPa, given the temperature, t in celcius, and dew point, td in
celcius"""

  R = 287
  Cp = 1004
  L = 2.5E6

  r = 0.622*bolton(td)/p
  tw = t
  limit = r+(Cp/L)*t
  guess = (Cp/L)*tw+(0.622/p)*bolton(tw)
  if(str(float(limit))!='nan' and str(float(guess))!='nan'):
    while(guess>limit):
      tw=tw-0.1
      guess = (Cp/L)*tw+(0.622/p)*bolton(tw)
  else: tw = java.lang.Float.NaN
  return tw
def kelvinToCelcius(tk):
  """Returns the temperature in celcius given a temperature, tk, in
kelvin"""
  return tk - 273

Paul

--